We want to wish a Happy Memorial Day to you and your family! Please enjoy a few facts about Memorial Day while remembering all of the men and women that have bravely served our country.
1. General John Alexander Logan chose May 30 as Decoration Day because flowers were almost all in bloom and many people would place them on loved ones graves
2. Memorial Day, then known as Decoration Day, was first celebrated on May 30, 1868.
3. The original Memorial Day was for veterans of the civil war. The south refused to acknowledge this holiday until after WW 1 when the meaning of the holiday changed to remember all veterans from any war.
4. Waterloo, New York, was declared the “birthplace of Memorial Day” by Congress. New York was the first state to honor Memorial Day as a legal holiday in 1873 by closing businesses and schools.
5. President Ulysses S. Grant had the honor of being the first president to attend a Memorial Day ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery. Arlington was originally General E. Lee’s plantation.
6. In 1915, Moina Michael, wore a red poppy in memory of all those who lost their lives in battle. She later began selling them with all proceeds going to benefit servicemen in need.
7. In 1924, an artificial poppy factory was built in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. All of the employees were veterans in need of jobs.
8. Memorial Day was declared a national holiday in 1971.
9. One of the most publicized and exciting Memorial Day traditions is the Indianapolis 500 race. The first race in 1911 was won by Ray Harroun. Another exciting tradition is fireworks, which can be seen across the country.
America is hope. It is compassion, It is excellence, It is valor. ~Paul Tsongas